There are very few undergraduate students that are exempt from the language requirement. However, those that are exempt generally fall into one of these categories:  

Students pursuing certain specific degrees. A current list can be found under the language section at 

Students with a documented disability through the Disability Services Program (DSP). DSP must specifically approve a FOLA substitution, in which case a list of alternative courses taught in English to satisfy the requirement will be provided.  

Students who have completed their entire secondary education (high school or the equivalent) in a language other than English. These students often must instead take certain English courses.  

Speaking a second language at home, having extensive experience in a second language, having AP/IB credits in a language, or having taken many years of high school language courses are NOT grounds for a FOLA exemption.  

All exemptions must be approved by the Office of the Registrar. They can be contacted at  

For basic information about FOLA, click here.

For information about how to fulfill FOLA with LL&C, click here