We always advise students to take the course they place into, regardless of which courses have been converted from transfer credits.   

If you took the placement exam and you were placed in a lower level course than you have transfer/IB/AP credit for, you have two options.  

  • You can dispute your placement score. Contact the advisor that corresponds to the course you were placed into for help determining what level course you need to enroll in. You can find a list of advisors here. It is always advised that you contact these advisors if there are discrepancies between your placement and your transfer credit.  

  • Contact the registrar’s office at registrar@du.edu. You will need an override to register for a course you already have credit for. Often, the registrar will adjust your transfer credits to instead convert as lower-level courses or elective courses as the 1XXX or 2XXX level, avoiding duplication of credit for a given course. Keep in mind that if you are approved to have overlapping credits (for example, having credit for both LANG 2001 from AP and LANG 2001 from a DU course), only one instance will be eligible to count towards a major or minor. The second instance will be considered general elective credit.

If you still need to take the placement exam, click here