For in depth information on the requirements for French and Francophone Studies majors, visit the DU undergraduate bulletin. The bulletin is the definitive source for major and minor requirements at DU, superseding the descriptions below.
Requirements for the major in French and Francophone Studies include:
- 44 credit hours of French courses at the level 2001 or above. These courses must include the following courses or their equivalent as approved by our faculty.
- 4 Credit Hours FREN 2400 Composition et conversation
- 8 Credit Hours FREN 25XX or FREN 2701. Prior to Fall 2017, some FREN courses were numbered 2200 or 26XX, and they also fulfill this requirement. Check with your French advisor.
- 8 Credit Hours FREN 35XX or 3701. Prior to Fall 2017, some FREN courses were numbered 3010, 3020, or 36XX, and they also fulfill this requirement.
- 4 Credit Hours FREN 3110 or 3150 (these are advanced language skills courses).
While not required, students who major in French and Francophone Studies are encouraged to study abroad in a French-speaking country. Majors who choose to study abroad are encouraged to enroll in a French and Francophone Studies course upon their return.